Since 1951, the Service League of Volunteers (300) at Shorehaven* (see below) work to enhance the lives of Shorehaven residents. It accomplishes this by raising funds that provide necessary support. Among the many projects that volunteers raise funds for is the maintenance, supplies and equipment for the three fish aquariums located throughout Shorehaven. The aquariums are serviced at a monthly cost of $150 - an annual total cost of $1,800.
Aquariums provide a variety of clinically tested and proven therapeutic health benefits to Shorehaven residents. These may include:
• Reducing stress, anxiety and depression
• Improving physical, social and mental health
• Minimizing physically aggressive behaviors
• Stimulating the mind and curiosity of residents
• Fostering a feeling of serenity
• Supporting a home-like environment
• Lowering blood pressure through relaxation
• Quelling the need for nutritional supplements and medications
• Influencing conversation between residents and staff/families
*Shorehaven, established in 1939, is a 501(c)(3) organization that depends on financial support of the community to provide a quality of life for seniors. Celebrating its 75th anniversary, Shorehaven continues to earn the trust of older adults, family members and the community. It offers a faith-based resource of choice for community seniors through skilled care, rehabilitation services, memory care, assisted and independent living. It also provides important services to keep seniors independent and at home.